Head of English
Head of English
TMS/UPS + TLR 1.2 (£9470 pa)
Required for January 2018 (or later by negotiation)
About the Role
Required for January 2018
Cheslyn Hay Sport and Community High School is a popular and over oversubscribed 11-18 specialist sports college with 1300 students on role. Situated in South Staffordshire and with easy access to M6, M6 toll and M54 motorways, the school has a strong reputation locally and beyond for enabling its young people to flourish. Ofsted judged it to be a good school in June 2015.
We are looking to appoint a new Head of English who has the necessary breadth of experience and expertise to support further improvements in our school. We are looking for a well-qualified, motivated and innovative leader who will lead the English department to further success. This is an exciting post for an excellent practitioner and for the right candidate; this post offers excellent potential for career development.
You will lead on key aspects of school improvement: narrowing the gaps in English developing further our data, tracking and intervention, as well as supporting and developing staff to deliver the new, more challenging, GCSE curriculum. You will help to lead the school to sustain our well established ethos, whilst ensuring we successfully address those areas that need further development.
We are looking for:
- Someone who will help move the school forward in English and Literacy
- A proven record of improving performance at student level and within the department
- An ability to narrow the gap for vulnerable students
- Expertise in assessment, AfL and marking
- Excellent teaching and learning
- Experience of middle leadership and improving the performance of individuals
- Improving data tracking and target setting at every level, every key stage so that all students fulfil their potential
The ideal candidate will be:
- Passionate about teaching and learning and ensuring every child fulfills their potential is essential
- An excellent classroom practitioner
- Enthusiastic, energetic, self-motivated and resilient, being able to respond well to pressure
- Accessible and accountable
- Able to work well with all stakeholders and external partners
We can offer:
- a caring, welcoming school with a supportive Governing Body
- hardworking, dedicated aspirational staff with a strong leadership team
- a specialist sports college with extensive sporting facilities
- established successful links with our local family of schools
- an inclusive school of which students, staff and the community are proud
If you believe you are the person who can help to lead us on our continuing journey, we are confident that this special opportunity will provide an exciting, demanding and rewarding challenge.
You are very welcome to visit the school or to call me to discuss the vacancy in more detail. If you would like a tour of the school please ring Mrs Morris, our Administration Manager. She will arrange a convenient time and ensure a guide is on hand to show you around.
We require the application form and a letter of no more than two sides of A4 outlining why you think you are the right person for this post in this school. Please do not include any other information such as a CV. The application form and your letter must be returned to us by noon on Wednesday 11th October. I regret that late applications will not be accepted. Interviews will take place week commencing Monday 16th October 2017.
We do hope that you find the position attractive and feel able to apply for what we believe is a very exciting opportunity to join what is considered to be a very happy and successful school.
This School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people/vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
This position is subject to a criminal records check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly CRB) which will require you to disclose details of all unspent and unfiltered spent reprimands, formal warnings, cautions and convictions in your application form.